Junior Alexander Guy began receiving death threats after phone service T-Mobile assigned him George Zimmerman‘s old cell phone number, reports the Huffington Post.
“You deserve to die,” irate callers said. “You murderer!”
The Orlando Sun-Sentinel reports:
The number —407-435-2400 — was the one Zimmerman spelled out to a police dispatcher in a recorded call the night of the shooting that has since been widely circulated by news organizations and is available on the Internet.
Guy, who works at an Orlando wastewater plant, said his phone rang around the clock.
“At 2 o’clock, 3 o’clock in the morning I kept getting these,” he said.
He estimates he received 70 threatening calls.
He has moved out of his home and relocated his mother, who had lived with him, to a different location, he said.
“I was not only afraid for my life, I was afraid for my mother’s,” he said.
He got the phone May 7. On May 16, he turned the phone over to Orlando lawyer Robert Trimble. Since then, the phone has been in Trimble’s safe.
The lawyer has asked T-Mobile to pay damages. He would not say how much.
T-Mobile has said no, according to its top lawyer, Aram Meade.
“They’re not looking to provide my client any compensation for what they’ve exposed him to,” Trimble complained.
George Zimmerman, who has been charged with the murder of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, was secreted away in the middle of the night after he was released on $150,000 bail to protect him from physical harm and death threats. Clearly, Guy was not, and has not to date, been given the same courtesy. Zimmerman has since turned himself in — again — after a judge ruled that he and his wife lied about how much money they had available at the time of the bond hearing.
Read more at the Orlando Sun-Sentinel.