With 98 percent of precincts reporting, former president and CEO of the Detroit Medical Center, Mike Duggan beat Wayne County Sheriff Benny Napoleon 55 percent to 45 percent to become Detroit’s first white mayor in over 43 years.
The city of Detroit is 83 percent African American.
Both Duggan and Napoleon are Democrats.
Trending in Detroit:
- Detroit Pastor Resigns After Telling Congregation About Her Same-Sex Marriage
- The Detroit 2013 Primary Election Results
- Monday Night Football Breakdown: Bears vs Packers [Opinion]
- 7 Drugs That Can Kill Kids in a Single Pill
- Mike Duggan leads Benny Napoleon in Detroit race for mayor, poll finds